Choosing which sofa to buy for your home is in no way an easy decision to make. Depending on the space that you have in your home, a different style of sofa will be more or less appropriate, and if you are limited on space, then you might find yourself debating a sleeper sofa.
Sleeper sofas are great because they are very versatile. They can be used as a regular sofa, and they can be easily converted into a bed if necessary. So, if you live in a 1-bed apartment, investing in a sleeper sofa might be a great choice for when you have guests stay over.
But, while a sleeper sofa has lots of benefits, it also has a number of drawbacks. One of which being the cost of this style of sofa.
If you are debating whether, or not, a sleeper sofa is worth it, then you are in the right place. In this guide we will be debating just that, so to find out more, keep on reading.
What Is A Sleeper Sofa?
A sleeper sofa, or a sofa bed as it is often sometimes called, is a sofa that can be used in 2 ways. By day, your sleeper sofa will look just like a regular sofa, and it will be comfy too.
But by night, this sofa pulls out into a very comfortable bed, perfect for anybody who lives in a small apartment or wants to keep their spare room functional.
Typically speaking, sleeper sofas are very carefully designed to ensure that the bed is well-hidden beneath the cushions of the sofa.
If you were to see a sleeper sofa in its ‘sofa’ format, then you should not be able to tell that it can also be used as a bed. The sleeper sofa should be designed to hide a mystery.
Beneath the cushions of the sofa, you will often find that there is a thin and lightweight metal frame which can then be pulled out to form the base of your bed.
Some sofa beds will come with a thin mattress that pulls across the base, but others will simply require you to rearrange the cushions to form a mattress.
Sleeper sofas are by no means a new invention, and they have been popular for a very long time. The design of sleeper sofas have come a long way, and they are almost unrecognizable from the traditional style of these sofas. But the basic principle is still the same.
Pros Of A Sleeper Sofa
In order to decide if a sleeper sofa is worth it, we need to take a look at the good, the bad, and the ugly of this style of sofa. So, let’s begin by taking a look at the pros of a sleeper sofa. Here are some of the best things about sleeper sofas:
- Multi-Purpose - By far the best thing about a sleeper sofa has to be the fact that it has multiple purposes. You can use this sofa as a sofa for as long as you want, but when you want to use it as a bed, it can be easily transformed into this. It has a lot of purposes, and it is a lot more comfortable than having to sleep on a regular sofa.
- It is a Better Alternative - Compared to some other ‘pull-out’ styles of bed, the sleeper sofa is definitely the best option. Futons are bulky and take up a lot of space, and air beds require a lot of effort for you to be able to use them. But you can simply convert your sleeper sofa into a bed whenever required, and it will not take up any extra room in your home in the meantime.
- Versatile - One other excellent thing about sleeper sofas is that they are very versatile and diverse. You can get them in lots of different colors, patterns, and styles, and this gives you lots of opportunity to find the sleeper sofa that is perfect for your home. Sleeper sofas have come a long way from when they were first created, and this has increased the appeal of sleeper sofas immensely.
Cons Of A Sleeper Sofa
So, there are some clear benefits of sleeper sofas. But, what about the drawbacks and disadvantages of this style of sofa? In order to make this a balanced debate, let’s take a look.
- Big and Bulky - As sleeper sofas can be converted between two different purposes, they have to be big and bulky. Sleeper sofas will never be small, lightweight, or minimalistic because they would never be able to hide a bed within them if they were. So, if you want a sleeper sofa, you have to accept that your sofa is going to be a big one.
- Uncomfortable - The bed component of a sleeper sofa is nowhere near as comfortable as sleeping in a real bed. This is to be expected, but it is something that you might want to bear in mind if you plan on using the sleeper sofa regularly. That being said, it is still a lot more comfortable than sleeping on a regular sofa.
- Pricey - Compared to regular sofas, you will often find that sleeper sofas are more expensive. This is because they are dual purpose. So, before you decide to buy a sleeper sofa, you might want to consider if you think the cost of one is acceptable.
So, Are Sleeper Sofas Worth it?
After looking at the pros and cons of sleeper sofas, it seems clear to us that this style of sofa absolutely is worth it. Yes, they are costly, and yes they are bigger than most regular sofas. But the benefits of this style of sofa completely outweigh the drawbacks.
A sleeper sofa will never be as comfortable as a real bed, but if you are limited on space, or don’t want to sacrifice your entire spare room to a double bed, then they are totally worth it.
Before you decide to buy a sleeper sofa, it is best to consider how often you will use the bed component of it. But as long as you are going to use it at least a couple of times a year, then we would say that a sleeper sofa is totally worth it!